Trip to Finca Onegar - 17 September 2011
The Friday Golf Society organised a trip to Finca Onegar on Saturday 17th September 2011
24 people took part in the trip. Each paying 25 euros a head. 15 euros for the trip around the bodega including lunch, 8 euros to pay towards a coach to take people there and 2 euros as tips (1 euro for the bodega staff and 1 euro for the coach driver). In addition to the money collected for the day the trip was subsidised by 110 euros from FGS funds.
As the committee is considering a second trip to the bodega in November 2011 we will not provide too much detail about the day as it may spoil things for future visitors. So here is a bullet point summary of the day:
- travelling to the bodega took around 2 hours and we saw some fantastic scenery
-the visit started just after 11am with coffee and water in the dining room
- we had a guided tour around the grounds that include a vineyard, olive plantation (including trees approximately 1100 years old), fruit trees, pigs and chickens
- all of the ground is irrigated from underground water reserves
- the bodega is surrounded by hills with tree clad hills to the north and hills covered with herb plants and other hardy plants to the south
- we saw grapes being harvested and processed. We also found out that the grapes are stored in a cold store for around a day after being harvested and before they start to be processed
- we had wine tasting prior to lunch
- we had a 3 course lunch (tomato and olive oil, chicken and rice, fruit). All of the produce except the rice was from the bodega
- we had the opportunity to purchase wine and olive oil from the bodega at the end of the trip
- we set off home at around 5pm and arrived in Almerimar around 7pm.
You can see all of the photos from the day here in the Gallery.